How Can I Sue A Lawyer?

Many times you put your trust in people that do not have your best interest at heart. Unfortunately this could occur even when you hire a lawyer to defend you and your rights. If you feel that your lawyer did not bring your case to justice you have the right to sue, however you must have the following information in order to support your case.

Records of All Your Work Together

The most important thing to have on hand when you want to sue a lawyer is all your records of your case. This includes but is not limited to your phone calls, contracts between you and the lawyer, meetings, and so forth. Having everything on paper and recorded is a sure way to help support your case against him.

Proving Your Case

Besides the records you need to be able to prove your case. You need to show the court that your lawyer was not working in your best interest. For example, if he kept canceling your meetings and not returning your phone calls this can help your case. Also, if he charged you very high fees and did not do the work he was supposed to do. Make sure you keep a record of everything including when he did not show up for your hearings or even passed on the work to his assistant.

Taking It To Court

Once you have all the proof against your lawyer it is now time to sue. This process could be very expensive, but it may be well worth it. Make sure you have a strong enough case built against the lawyer before proceeding. You also want to make sure you get a lawyer that is not associated with the one you are suing. Not having any connections will help your case and increase your chances of winning.

29 Responses to “How Can I Sue A Lawyer?”

1. Jean says:

Before suing, send a detailed complaint to the Bar Association in your city/area. They have a Grievance Committee set up to police lawyers. So, file a grievance and write it well. Explain that the attorney is either guilty by ommission, meaning he did NOT do things he should have done, or gultiy by commission, meaning he DID things he should not have done. He may be guilty both ways. They will handle it from there. If it has been egregious negligence or breach of contract or malfeasance, he could be disbarred. The Bar Association can also refer you to another lawyer. In any event, your lawyer will be called to task.

2. Jean says:

Examples of guilt by ommission: He did not depose key witnesses timely, and waited until the other side deposed this witness, often qquite a long time after the fact. This means he is either cheap or he took a payoff from somewhere to ruin your case. Key witnesses should be deposed very early on in a case when memory of the facts are fresh. If he does not return calls, emails, and does not send you copies of court correspondence, this is also bad. If he never shows you copies of depositions that have already been taken, or conceals evidence that will help your case, this is bad. The latter is an example of malfeasance. I have been the victim of an insane lawyer who is guilty of all the above and then some. I cannot get rid of him because he is residing in the American territory where I was injured and filed suit, but I no longer live there. So I tired to get other lawyers from there involved but he ran them off. I have a lot of evidence that proves wilfull malfeasance. After three years, we finally had a bogus mediation with the defense attorney and I was offered a ridiculous sum of money for my injuries. I wrote a long treatise and sent it to my lawyer, exposing all I know about what he has done wrong. I have asked him to re-negotiate or we will try the case. In any event, I am still going to the Bar Association to report both lawyers.

3. Hello, I have seen this post somewhere else before, are you the original author?

4. Patrice Bertke says:

The attorney in question in my case handled a Trust of the estate of my mother and step father. It was an irrevocable trust. Then, after my mother passed away, at my step father’s request, he drew up amendments that changed the distribution of the assets considerably. The court ruled that this was wrong and the amendments were thrown out. Unfortunately the assets were already distributed and are irretrievable. Our lawyer who handled the case, refuses to go further, although he feels we are in the right. Apparently there has developed ties between his family and this lawyer and could not continue to handle our case. I think he was pressured by his firm to drop it. I cannot find a lawyer willing to sue another lawyer, they seem to stick up for each other. I feel I have a good case, but need to find the right lawyer who has the guts to take it up.

5. Maxine says:

I hired a lawyer and after more than a year the only thing I have in hand is two poorly written, and potentially damaging, letters. There are no copies of motions filed, which he has been asked to do repeatedly, no dates for meeting, and no paper work showing what, if anything, has been done. A professional lawyer should send a monthly statement of work rendered. At this juncture he has been told to either produce the paperwork, return the money or I will go to the bar association.

6. Very important information! This can happen to anyone, and when it comes to firing a lawyer, it is better to use some of the tips in this post!

7. If I need to sue an attorney, how do I find one that does not have an association with the attorney I am suing. Isn’t it like sending a rat after a piece of cheese? Sounds like a real dilemna to me.

8. darek says:

my lawyer lie me at sign divorce papers.

9. moe courtney says:

my lawyer was discipined by bar cousel now can i sue her for her actions

10. HI,MY NAME IS CELESTE I AM HARD OF HEARING AND HAVE A COMPREHENDTION PROBLEM. I AM ON SOCIAL SECURITY,I WAS REPRESENTED BY A LAWYER WHO DID STOP THE OVER PAYMENT,BUT HE DID NOT EXPLAIN TO ME THE JUDGE DECISION IN REGARDING IT STATED ALL IN MY FAVOR, AND THAT WE SHOULD REQUEST ANOTHER HEARING.WHEN I TRY CALLING HIM FROM MONTH TO MONTH WAITING ON THE LAWYER HE TELLS ME HE BEEN TO BUSY TO LOOK AT MY CASE. HE WAIT 5 MONTH TO TELL ME IT OVER. WHEN THINGS NEEDS TO BE LOOK AT, LIKE HOW MUCH MONEY DID THE STATED I OWE THEM. HOW MUCH MONEY DID THEY TAKEN FROM ME ,AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE TO PAY UP THAT AMOUNT.DID THEY OVER CHARGE ME AFTER THAT MONEY WAS COLLECTED?HI,MY NAME IS CELESTE I AM HARD OF HEARING AND HAVE A COMPREHENDTION PROBLEM. I AM ON SOCIAL SECURITY,I WAS REPRESENTED BY A LAWYER WHO DID STOP THE OVER PAYMENT,BUT HE DID NOT EXPLAIN TO ME THE JUDGE DECISION IN REGARDING IT STATED ALL IN MY FAVOR, AND THAT WE SHOULD REQUEST ANOTHER HEARING.WHEN I TRY CALLING HIM FROM MONTH TO MONTH WAITING ON THE LAWYER HE TELLS ME HE BEEN TO BUSY TO LOOK AT MY CASE. HE WAIT 5 MONTH TO TELL ME IT OVER. WHEN THINGS NEEDS TO BE LOOK AT, LIKE HOW MUCH MONEY DID THE STATED I OWE THEM. HOW MUCH MONEY DID THEY TAKEN FROM ME ,AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE TO PAY UP THAT AMOUNT.DID THEY OVER CHARGE ME AFTER THAT MONEY WAS COLLECTED?

11. Joey says:

Hell last year I bought a house and put the deposit fixed it up and then after living together for 1 .5 months my si called girlfriend found a mother boyfriend and wanted me out … We reached an agreement that I would live in the basement and that lasted 1 month because she wanted him on the house …I refused to leave and she accused me of assault … Which I was found not guilty and her petting herself … At that time I had a criiminsl lawyer who refused to talk to me until Thr day of Thr trial at they time it cost me 3500, after Thre not humility verdict I was given a family lawyer to either dell my house to the ex girlfriend or live in it . I chose yo sell it to her … I seen Thr family lawyer a year ago and since then I have heard nothing … It cost me 2500, I used another lawyer at. 1000. To get a court order to get my belongings and now a year later
    Nothing 4 months I any a letter because I was tired of calling and getting nobody … What shoulf I do …this is tying up my future

12. Agreed, you should contact the BAR association to submit a complaint.

13. david says:

my mother made changes to her trust after years of being hurt and offended by her daughter and two step sons. my girlfriend and i lived with and loved my mother. we helped her live independently as long as she could and then took her into our home for her safety and comfort. she was only in a nursing home the last few months of her life because of continuing falls. she wanted my girlfriend remember in her trust and my selfish sister removed completely. we stalled contacting her atty for several months to give her a chance to think about her request. finally because she was persistent we contacted the atty and had the trust changed as to her wishes. after her death my family immediately attacked me, including a physical assault at the funeral home in front of her open casket by one of the step sons. no other contact was made until the last day they were eligible to file suit and file they did. our atty. assured us that we had nothing to worry about. we sold part of our farm to pay off the debts that had built up over the years of her care. we went to him for advice at every turn. in the end he refused to fight to defend the very document he had authored. first there was an error that gave them an opening to make a claim. second because he didn’t have us deed the farm out of the trust the proceeds became property of the trust and required accounting. a $10000 stock payment due the trust was with held by the one step son after the stock had been surrendered as per agreement. the atty, failed to file a counter suit for damages, failed to get a deposition that was specifically requested, and even made a court appearance without my knowledge and neglected to provide me with a copy of the court records when requested. finally after a ridiculous settlement was presented charging that owed the other siblings over $400,000 he asked what i wished to do. i responded that i wanted to fight it aggressively. the next thing i knew he was pressing us to attend a mediation “just to see what their position was”. once we got into that room he sat there like a lump even shushing me at one point. we had no counter suit we had no depositions. the judge told us that since we had spent the most time with my mother we had had the most opportunity to influence her. i have a brain injury and sitting there with no one but my girlfriend seeming to be on my side i felt so alone. i finally agreed to let them have the house where mom had been living in town. even then things drug out for months while they tried to get me to resign as trustee, our atty. pressing me to agree with them at every turn. only when i emailed the half brother who filed suit and told him i didn’t trust him and we had an agreement did the agreement finally show up. i don’t know if he or the attys were holding the process up to run the costs up. sorry this is so long but this episode has cost me nearly everything including my health. i just had triple bypass surgery. this whole process is wrong. and as long as lawyers continue to make easy money playing the game it will continue.

14. kori miller says:

Lawyers, lawyers, lawyers are the worst thing you can invite into a trust litigation, believe me, I’m on my 6th and 7th attorney and 26 months
    later I am still being dragged thru being attacked and maliciously prosecuted by my brothers attorney. My older brother, and other 2 older siblings stole my dad’s trust, committed fraud, concealed trust documents, reappointed himself as ‘sole successor trustee’ and proceeded to withhold my 25% of the stocks I inherited, and is in the process of hi-jacking the property, the home I’ve lived in as an adult dependent with my father for the past 25 yrs. The house is paid for and
    I am the youngest daughter who worked for my dad taking care of him and doing all the maintenance of the house for the last 15 yrs. without any help from my 3 older siblings. My brothers are in their 60′s and still pay rent, and they want the house for themselves. I am on SSI Disability and have no other resources except the shelter my dad gave to me, and the stock shares my siblings have kept from me. We all 4 children own a quarter share of the home equally, but my dad gave me a life estate because I have no other place to go, or money to move with, or any way I can pay rent somewhere on $800 a month. Any money I’ve gotten from my inheritance I’ve been forced to spend on attorneys fees..and I’ve had all the documented evidence to prove my brother stole my dad’s trust and took control and has changed the whole distribution of it, even his sworn deposition where he admits he did in fact steal it, none of my 7 attorneys will ever use the documented evidence I have that will prove my case and end this sham of injustice…but, that’s why they won’t use my evidence…because it will end the lawyers gravy train…so far it’s cost me $100,000 +
    and my siblings have spent $200,000 on attorneys fees and it’s going to go on and on forever until all the money my dad worked so hard for is gone and in the lawyer’s pockets…
    Don’t get an attorney, get a paralegal to help you, file your own motions, learn how to play their game yourself, I’ve learned from being involved in this scam for the last 2 years, don’t be intimidated by these a-holes, they think because they went to law school, they are that much smarter then you…they’re not, just more schooled at lying and prolonging people’s misery, believe me, whatever you do, even if you know your case is so true and you are right and there is no way you can loose- in the end, you will loose, everyone involved will loose, and it’s so true like they say, the only one who wins will be the attorneys in the end…Do not invite these creepy people you think you can trust into your trust disputes, or you’ll all be sorry you did!! Trust what I’m sharing with you, take matters into your own hands, put it in God’s hands, ask for his guidance and pray for the right direction…but, stay away from getting any lawyer to help you because they won’t, they’re just helping themselves to your money even if they are winning your case, the more they’re winning, the more everybody involved is loosing….for real.

15. Latoya says:

i hired a lawyer to help me with a aggervated gun case my son was 16 an a 27 year ols was trying to kill him. the lawyer never came to see my son an didnt do any invastergation on the case he told me to take notes and pictures if i see the man. i told him that the man was coming arouynd my house an that my son said that the he need to come see him to build a case that would help him he never went but one time to see my son in in 20 mounths. my son is a good student an didnt have a back ground how would the lawyer thati hired tell me that ten years is a slap on the wrist for him seeing that the man lost a lot. i said do you understand that the man said he was going to kill my son an tried to he had the gun an that my son was fighting for his life and that is how he got shout. my son was given ten years at 85 persent.and the lawyer that took all my money didnt do anything to prevent this i need him to save my son. now my son is in jail an his furture is gone and the lawyer i looked him up has been brought up on charges an his wife. they have done this to others take there money an there service was none. what can i do its been three years?

16. charlene says:

i had a lawyer for 4months.he didnt send me court papers,he did nothing to help me or my case,only showed up court date and charged per hour.we won a custody battle after me and my husband did all the work,without guidance from him.then the other party objected,and took us to high court.my lawyer told me i hav got no choice,my daughter shud return to grandmother.i objected and he said,dont shake ur head at me.he told the other party i agree and it was finalised.i went to another lawyer and she said i could hav had my daughter home that day.now its 5more months.i want to sue but how?

17. Larnell Gravely says:

My ex-wife hired this lawyer for custody issue with me. This lawyer asked her if she knew anyone that may hate me to use to help heir case. My ex contacted my current mother in law having her come to court and sign negative affidavitto help her get temp custody. Once my ex gotten temp custody my in law attacked my wife and I marriage influenced her to walk away from our marriage same day. my in law selected same lawyer to divorce her daughter from me. Them 2 the lawyer and mother inlaw made up the divorce complaint word for word acting as if my in law was her client using all her attacks. my mother inlaw hate me because I dont allow her to dictate in our household and convert my oldest 2 stepkids into Jehovah witnesses wanting me out of her way to do so! My wife left me we were separated 10 mths and love saved the day, she dismissed divorce november and came back to me with our kids. her mother was always buddy buddy with the lawyer and so recently the lawyer violated my wife and I privacy giving my mother inlaw our current address which we never authorized that. my mother inlaw called DSS bringing people to our home today trying to cause problem within our home again. I am going to sue the lawyer, I reported this with lawyer bar first but that lawyer violated my wife and I my inlaw could of come killed me. I texted my ex wife asking if she called DSS she replied no which I have the text emailed to my other email account to print. So my mother inlaw contacted them getting our address from her buddy the lawyer.

18. Grace says:

I had a paralegal approach myself and other people who recently bought land. He got all of our information from the court house and met with us one on one. He informed us that the land we bought was unliveable. We each bought 4 acres tracts to build homes. He said that the water was contaminated and we couldn’t put in a water well. There were 2 houses already built at the time, and he said it was just a matter of time that those water wells would be contaminated as well. That was in Dec. of 2011 that he last contacted us. We all signed papers to go forward with a lawsuit. Since that time my we have called mulitple times to see what is going on with the situation, and he gives us the run around, telling us he doesn’t know what to tell us. There has also been 4 other houses that have been built, with no problem regarding the water. This person has put a hold on our building plans and has also tainted the dream we had of living out in the country. He always says he will call us back and never does! What can I do?

19. Tuck Law says:

I know hindsight is 20/20, but people really need to conduct their own due-diligence before hiring an attorney. Not that it’s always preventable, but it’s much easier to be proactive. Suing a lawyer or law firm is often not pretty. Of course, like the author mentioned, it’s not going to be cheap.

20. Guardianship says:

That would be amazing, will attempt against each other, useful web site, can, no doubt save, many thanks.

21. Lynn Ivy says:

I was in a divorce that was listed as mental and verbal cruelty. That in itself says the intimidation, threats, lies and were most prevalent. I told the lawyer everything happening in this case. I had another family that helped pay the retainer fee because he believe the case needed to be pursued. i had threatening voice mail message that the lawyer did not even listen to, I had witnesses ready to testify in the case that he did not talk to once, I was not allowed in our home once my exhusband had taken it to get any personal belongings, I did not get any monies we had together because the court said there was none but I had the checking account numbers to show and they could follow the money if there was none but they didnt even look. The problem seems to be that in all the intimidation and threats I was put in the position to agree to most of my spouses demands out of fear and the length of time the case went on. 2 years. My spouse had ignored the judgements from the judge so I had no transportation because my spouse had refused to pay the note ordered and I had very little money from little to no spousal support. My family member had passed on so the other person paying the restituion wasnt being represented either. I was in a corner of fear and nonrepresentation. The atty just kept saying I’m taking care of it. In the end, my spouse got the house, the money, most of the furniture. All he has to pay is $650 monthly spousal support and his pension WHEN he retires and his seniority date is 1976. i guess he doesnt want me to have my part, you think? I’m on disability since 2004. I didnt get to keep any medical benefits so I have bills running out of my…. why didnt the attorney say dont take this or that. i’m here for you just let me get what is best for you instead of I’m taking care of it. it took more than 2 years and I didnt have anything. why didnt he listen to the threats and realize the pressure being put on me and bar my spouse from contact. other lawyers have said it not up to the Judge it the lawyers responsibility. My mental and physical being cannot get past this injustice and travesty. my spouse is bragging and living high on the hog. He has it all. Maybe he paid his lawyer and mine but either was hes not suffering. I’ve sold everything I own to make it. My cabilnets are barely filled with food. I have no money to make any of this right with the Bar Association. Lawyers shouldnt take upfor lawyers who they know did not do right. Its like a doctor who performs a bad surgery and no other doctor will touch you.

22. It’s a pity that some lawyers really neglect the most basic of client care duties. This brings a bad name to the profession. There are good lawyers out there, you just need to ask around and probably do some research online to check their reviews. The first consultation should be free or at a reduced rate. Use this time wisely to see how responsive the solicitor is. Make it clear that you want to have them get back to your queries in a timely manner. Lay the expectations from the beginning and this will help prevent further pain down the road.

23. Really valuable information, would be useful when there is time I meet with a bad lawyer. It’s sad though that there is many lawyer like that :(

24. A friend of mine was being sued by one of his clients. He hired a law firm. They were hopeless. So he took the case on by himself. He bought books on Scottish Law and how to defend himself.

It took him nearly three years going through all the procedures. But in the end he won his case. he had no prior knowledge of the Law he just jumped in and gave it ago. Not only did he win his case he refused to pay the large bill he got from the Law firm he originally hired. he then using the correct language etc showed them how they had been incompetent in defending him. Up until that pint they had been pursuing him for payment threatening legal action. After they got his reply they dropped it!

Don’t be intimidated by jargon and self importance and educate yourself at least on the basics of legal procedures in your part of the world!

25. I like some of the articles in this blog, I hope that this blog remains present with other interesting articles on a regular basis.